College Nights at GVCO
Ivy Experience is hosting a series of free, open-to-the-public seminars on college admissions at the Great Valley Community Organization (120 S. Ship Road, Exton, PA) this fall. Each seminar will focus on a different area of the college admissions process.
The College Nights are targeted toward parents of high school students, but students and parents of all ages are encouraged to attend.
Find out more information below:
August 21st: Brainstorming College Admissions Essays
- What are the different types of college admissions essay?
- How do college admissions essays factor into my application?
- What makes a “good” college admissions essay?
- Demonstrating that you are interested and interesting.
- Brainstorming the Personal Statement.
- Brainstorming the two most common Supplemental Essays: “Why College?” and “Why Major?”
September 12th: Setting Goals for High School Students
- Introduction to seminar series and timeline of presentations.
- When is the right time to start thinking about college admissions? Timeline of steps.
- How do colleges evaluate grades? What grades are most important?
- How to select activities to develop personally and as an applicant?
- How do SAT and ACT scores factor in? When to plan for these tests?
- Priorities by grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
October 4th: A Guide to Admissions Testing (SAT, ACT, Subject Tests, AP’s)
- What is the SAT? What is the ACT? How are they different?
- Do colleges prefer the SAT or the ACT? (Spoiler: they have no preference)
- How do I decide whether to take the SAT or ACT?
- PSAT overview: what it means and how to use it.
- How do colleges evaluate scores from the SAT, ACT, Subject Tests, and AP’s?
- Planning a timeline for college testing and preparation
November 13th: Extracurricular Activities: Better Person, Better Applicant
- What is the “Activities” section of the Common App, and how do colleges use it?
- What does “holistic” mean in terms of college admissions?
- How to select activities and build a resume that is not just impressive, but meaningful?
- How important is community service to colleges?
- Why are leadership positions important, and how to position yourself to earn one?
- How to build meaningful relationships with teachers, mentors, and counselors.
December 12th: Planning College Visits
- Why are college visits important?
- College visit checklist: where to go, who to meet, what to bring, and more.
- How will these visits influence your college applications?
- What is “demonstrated interest,” and how do I demonstrate it?
- The “Why College” essay
- When is the best time to visit colleges?
- “The Philly Tour” – using our wealth of local colleges to your advantage, whether you want to attend or not.
We'd love to hear from you!
Want to learn more about how Ivy Experience can help your student? Fill out the form and we would be happy to speak by phone or email about our college prep programs.